Over 30 years of reliable coach travel
At Citylink, our vision is to be the first-choice provider of travel and leisure solutions across Scotland, whether you're travelling city to city or escaping to the most rural parts of our beautiful country. We strive to exhibit our strong company values in all we do in order to offer a service that guarantees safety, quality, reliability, professionalism, value, steadfastness and, above all, excellence.
The Citylink network
Citylink operates an extensive network of long-distance express services within Scotland, carrying over 5 million passengers annually to more than 200 destinations and linking the cities of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling and Inverness. Welcome on board!
An easy and flexible way to explore the many scenic routes that wind their way around Scotland, travelling with us means coaches that are clean, modern and smart, with comfortable seats that recline, air conditioning to keep you warm in winter and cool in summer, and a host of other features to make your journey a smooth and relaxing experience.
In the beginning
Scottish Citylink Coaches Limited was formed on 1st March 1985 during the reorganisation of the Scottish Bus Group. Our main challenge was to coordinate and manage the long-distance express services operated by the other Scottish Bus Group subsidiaries.
After being sold to its management and employees during a management buyout, Citylink was privatised in August 1990. As the Scottish Bus Group broke up, the number of private operators working on Citylink contracts vastly increased — Park's, West Coast Motors and Rapson's were now major contributors. At this time, the former SBG companies now owned by Stagecoach - Fife Scottish, Western Scottish, Bluebird Buses - began operating their own Stagecoach Express network.
Travelling through time
In 1993, Scottish Citylink was sold to National Express, the major provider of express coach services in England & Wales. Simultaneously, cross-border services from Scotland to England were replaced by National Express services, leaving Citylink with Scottish domestic services only. Co-ordinated timetabling and ticketing were introduced between the two operators to make processes as simple as possible.
With the privatisation of British Rail in 1997, National Express took over the ScotRail franchise. With the Competition Commission ruling that this would give National Express a monopoly on long-distance services in Scotland, they soon ordered the sale of Scottish Citylink. As a result, in August 1998 Scottish Citylink was sold to Metroline Plc, which in turn was bought by ComfortDelGro in March 2000.
Working with partners
In September 2005, ComfortDelGro and Stagecoach agreed to a joint venture to provide express coach services in Scotland. Under the terms of the agreement, Stagecoach Bus Holdings Ltd took a 35% shareholding in Scottish Citylink Coaches Ltd and in return granted certain rights to the Megabus brand in Scotland. The remaining 65% shareholding is held by Braddell Ltd, a UK subsidiary of ComfortDelGro.
At Citylink, we're proud to work alongside Stagecoach, Parks of Hamilton, Translink, Shiel Buses, Edinburgh Coach Lines, West Coast Motors, and D & E Coaches on various routes across Scotland.
We're here to help
Check your journey, search FAQ's, view timetables and routes, or learn more about assisted travel with Citylink. It's time to get on the road again!
Get inspired for your next trip
Explore destinations and plan your perfect getaway with Citylink. We've uncovered the best ways to spend your days when travelling around Scotland.
Discover Fort William
Choose the right ticket for you
Start planning your journey and find the best value ticket to suit your needs.Tickets